Thursday 13 March 2008

The Real Sociedad Challenge




I have played the Football Manager since the very first version in the nineties and have spent many happy hours over the years putting one over Fergie and co. The 2 teams that are closest to my heart are Dundee United and Real Sociedad. Going Dundee United has never been and never will be an option. I know for a fact the first time i played Rangers or Celtic and got a heavy beating, my p.c. would be in serious trouble. I simply don't have the patience to sit for hours watching them lose more often than not and watch Rangers and Celtic battle out the league on their own. Thats too much like real life! I would love to hear from anyone who has went a team from outside the old firm and broke their dominance. Especially on the 2008 version.

Real Sociedad are different. I have fallen in love with the idea of turning them into world beaters and lifting the European Cup. Football Manager 2007 brought no trophies. My finest season seen a 3rd place finish and Champions League qualification follow with a defeat to Fenerbache in the qualifying round for the group stage the following season. The UEFA cup campaign which followed was ended when i finished second from bottom in the group stage.

Then came Football Manager 2008. I thought about leaving it and persisting with the 2007 version as early reviews revealed many bugs plus the thought of Real Sociedad being in the 2nd division didn't appeal. Especially since it was hard enough when they were in La Liga.

Then it hit me - what an amazing feeling it would be if i could get them back into the big league and win something!!! Chris Coleman tried and failed but i wouldn't! I wouldn't let the fact they had no money whatsoever bother me - i would simply use all my knowledge i've built up over the years to pull them out of the mire.

The result = 4thplace finish - no promotion and sacked at the end of my first season!

After staring at the screen blankly for ten minutes i realised i had 4 choices -

1) Retire gracefully, uninstall the game and fire up FM2007 again and be back in the 1st division!

2) Accept the kind job offer from Tenerife (a team with even less money than Real Sociedad - didn't think that was possible!)

3) Start again and give it another go.

4) Abandon my policy of going RS and pick a good team where i have a chance of some glory.

After some weighing up the pro's and con's i decided to choose option 3 which leads me to the point of this blog.
For anyone who makes a habit of going one of the big guns and fancy's a new challenge i urge you to GO Real Sociedad! For anyone who never strays away from the English League GO Real Sociedad! For anyone who wants who wants to show me you are a better manager than me GO Real Sociedad and win something! I shall be logging my progress on this blog as often as i can. I fear a losing streak in the new game may lead me to give up so if i make myself accountable to someone i may persist rather than be a quitter!

If you do take up the challenge please leave comments and let me know how your doing. My personal opinion right now is its impossible but i'd love to prove myself wrong (unlikely) or have someone else prove me wrong (more likely).

I will keep updates of my progress on a regular basis.

Take care and good luck!

p.s. Anyone who claims to win anything will need screenshots before i believe you!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have decided to take the challenge on so will let you know how i get on. Think 5 seasons might be a big ask but will wait and see.

brooksy said...

i have took up the challenge of real socieadad. i am on default database but the 8.0.2 patch. i have jus finished the summer transfer window i have played 3 games won 2 lost 1.

here is my transfers to and from from this transfer window.

[URL=http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=transfersfirstbudgetdq0.jpg][IMG]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/6388/transfersfirstbudgetdq0.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

as you will see i will have a fairly decent transfer budjet left which i will be spending in january after a few months scouting players that will be gud enuf to get me promoted and also keep me in the top flight here are the accounts.

[URL=http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=accountszo4.jpg][IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6599/accountszo4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

thats it for now ill post at end of january transfer window or midway between now and then well see.
if any1 would like a print screen of my signings jus let me know.
plz comment back on your opinion of my signings.

i will jus be using the default 4-4-2 attacking with the wingers arrow onli going half way. when playing tough away games i will play the default 4-5-1.

Kova said...

Bloody hell Brooksy well done on getting rid of those players. I had a nightmare trying. Gari is the only player i would have held onto but with that money you can replace him easily. Looking forward to seeing how your new players do. All the best but i hope you don't do as well as me. Ha ha. Says me who will probably be sacked next season!

Kova said...

Mr anonymous how are you getting on?

brooksy said...

brooksy: im at end of jan and evryfin is going better far better than i expected here are some pics comment back on wah u fink i culd of dun better or have dun well doing.
i signed marvin angulo from shakhtar for 1.5millin and i also am signing luis jiminez from ternana he is on loan at inter currently evryfin has been completed but as he is on loan wont cum till summer.
alot of the youngsters i bought av gone up to become gd playas already.

marvin angulo:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9480/anguloek2.jpg
escudero:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2780/escuderoqs8.jpg
jiminez:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1388/jiminezru9.jpg
aaritalo:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2968/mikaaky4.jpg
stancu:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/350/stancuiy9.jpg
league table:
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/1251/tablehs0.jpg
training:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6619/trainingww8.jpg

will tell u about wah happens between now and end of season at the start of summer hows your 2nd start goin u change nefin different than your first go cb

brooksy said...

jiminez was 1.9mill plus 50%next sale and a freindly

Kova said...

Brooksy your signings are looking really good. I'm still in my first season with about 7 games to go. Promotion has just been confirmed and i'm 22 points clear at the top. Not been getting much of a chance to play it but should finish it tonight and post the final standings etc. I think i'm doing something wrong when trying to sign players cos nobody wants to join. Maybe they will in the summer when i'm in the 1st. Jimenez looks fantastic. I'm jelous your getting him like!

brooksy said...

i won the league first season i have made sum gd signings for the forthcoming battle in the top flight.
flamini free, mariano barbosa free, filipe (deportivo) free, leonardo (shakhtar) free, completed jiminez signing.
i couldnt get rid of alot of my players that came bck from there loans which i planned on getting rid of mikel alonso, diego rivas etc... ill report bck wen im in january look forward to seeing who u buy and culd u also tell me how much u get in the second season and wah your wage budjet is.

brooksy said...

sorry leonardo shakhtar wasnt a free he was 4.2mill

Kova said...

Thanks for the update brooksy well done.